Why many programmers don't like GC?

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:50:00 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 14 January 2021 at 18:51:16 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> One can follow the same kind of reasoning for D. It makes no
> sense for people who want to stay high level and do batch
> programming. Which is why this disconnect exists in the
> community... I think.

The reasoning of why we do not implement write barriers is that
it will hurt low level programming. But I feel like if we drew a
ven diagram of people who rely on GC and those who do a lot of
writes trough a pointer we would get almost no overlap. In other
words if D compiler had a switch that turned on write barriers
and better GC I think many people would use it and find the trade
offs acceptable.