Why many programmers don't like GC?

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:49:38 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 at 18:58:56 UTC, Marcone wrote:
> I've always heard programmers complain about Garbage Collector
> GC. But I never understood why they complain. What's bad about
> GC?

Most people get to know GC trough Java or C#. Those languages
promote the use of OOP and they say that you dont need to worry
about memory management. The result is that people write code
that doesnt utilize CPU caches effectively and makes a lot of
temporary allocations. For example people at Microsoft
implemented json parser in C# and it would allocate 8GB of memory
for every 1GB parsed. Add to that virtual machines and you find
that programs written in those languages run like they are coded
in molasse.

People with experience of those programs conclude that is all
because of GC. And its simple explanation for simple people.