Why many programmers don't like GC?

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:51:17 UTC 2021

On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 16:22:59 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Are we talking about the same things here? You mentioned DMD
> but I was talking about programs compiled with DMD (or GDC,
> LDC), not the nature of the DMD compiler in particular.
>
> Bump the pointer and never return any memory might acceptable
> for short lived programs but totally unacceptable for long
> running programs, like a browser you are using right now.
>
> Just to clarify, in a program that is made in D with the
> default options, will there be absolutely no memory reclamation?

You are talking about different things.

DMD, as a program, uses the bump the pointer allocation strategy.

If you compile a D program with DMD that uses new or appends to a
dynamic array (or whenver else), then it is using the GC to do
that. You can also use malloc or your own custom strategy. The GC
will reclaim memory, but there is no guarantee that malloc or a
custom allocation strategy will.