Why many programmers don't like GC?

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 21:15:29 UTC 2021

On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 19:49:34 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 19:37:12 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> A small GC heap is sufficient.
>> There is this blog post where there was a quantitative measure
>> of the sub-1ms D GC heap size.
>
> That's ok for a small game, but not for applications that grow
> over time or projects where the requirement spec is written
> (and continually added to) by customers. But for enthusiast
> projects, that can work.
>
> Many open source projects (and also some commercial ones) work
> ok for small datasets, but tank when you increase the dataset.
> So "match and mix" basically means use it for prototyping, but
> do-not-rely-on-it-if-you-can-avoid-it.
>
> Switching to ARC looks more attractive, scales better and the
> overhead is more evenly distributed. But it probably won't
> happen.

Isn't it more theoretical/imaginary/hypothetical than something
really measured from a real-world use case? Almost all large
software use cases I've seen used mix and match.

(BTW ARC is also another form of GC)

Unreal game engine
https://mikelis.net/garbage-collection-in-ue4-a-high-level-overview/

Unity (of course)