Why many programmers don't like GC?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 22:24:46 UTC 2021

On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 22:13:01 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
> I think the way forward is some robust move semantics and
> analysis like Rust. I suppose ideally we would have some kind
> of hidden ARC behind the scenes but I don't know how that would
> play with structs.

If they are heap allocated then you just put the reference count
at a negative offset (common strategy).

You need pointer types for it, but that is not a big issue if the
strategy is to support both the old GC and ARC.  You basically
just need to get library authors that support ARC to mark their
library code in some way.