Why many programmers don't like GC?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Jan 18 12:21:14 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 11:43:20AM +0000, aberba via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> It talks how the use of GC is desired even in a game engine like
> Unreal.  Several AAA title's have been built on Unreal.
>
> Apparently you can't convince people who have made up their mind about
> GC being a bad thing for D.

'Tis what I've been saying.

> Nevertheless, GC in D isn't going anywhere. And if the approach for
> writing nogc code in D doesn't cut it, then I'm not what else will.

Nothing ever will. It's exactly like Walter has always said: X
(substitute any of the usual complaints for X, like the GC) isn't the
real problem. X is just the excuse. You can pour blood and sweat into
"fixing" X, but that will not convince the naysayers.  They will just
move on to Y. You can proceed to fix Y, but they will just move on to Z.
It's a waste of time bending over backwards to please non-customers who
have already made up their minds and will never be customers.

Instead, we should be improving life for the existing customers. Like
improve the docs, improve dub, fix regressions, etc..

It is widely believed that reinventing the wheel is a waste of time; but I disagree: without wheel reinventers, we would be still be stuck with wooden horse-cart wheels.