Why many programmers don't like GC?

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:18:40 UTC 2021

On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 13:14:16 UTC, Arafel wrote:
> On 18/1/21 13:41, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> Yes, it is natural that the current D population don't mind
>> the current GC. Otherwise they would be gone... but then you
>> have to factor in all the people that go through the revolving
>> door and does not stay. If they stayed the eco system would be
>> better. So the fact that they don't... is effecting everyone
>> in a negative way (also those that har happy with the runtime).
>
> I must be in the minority here because one of the reasons why I
> started using D was precisely because it HAS a GC with full
> support. I wouldn't even have considered it if it hadn't.
>
> For what I usually do (non-critical server-side unattended
> processing) latency is most obviously not an issue, and I for
> me not having to worry about memory management and being able
> to focus on the task at hand is a requirement.

1). You're not a minority at all. System programming is also vast
so having a GC (especially D's special kind of GC) is nothing
alien in System programming. If you look out there, you'd see
most of the very important software (for the lack of a better
word) written uses some form of GC.

2). I'm not sure anyone really know how many people use D, stay
with D after first encounter or leave. So we're all guessing our
biases. And I wouldn't look at just the core language as why
someone will move to D or not.

 From my experiencing freelancing, I've come to see that a large
portion of clients' decision stems from other things like
familiarity and ecosystem (packages, frameworks, vendor/cloud
support, engineering hiring pool, consultants/support
availability, tooling, marketing/popularity/fomo/community,
etc)... including things that usually comes from the community
and stakeholders. For D we don't really have any measure of
community size. Only looking at the forum can be misleading.

3). Using GC doesn't mean you're writing scripts. A significant
amonnt of very large D code I've read (including those from long
time users) use GC... sometimes partially. So to think or assume
GC is hurting D is an unmeasured bias.

I'm not saying those who are looking for nogc don't really matter
(even though I hold the opinion that one can write nogc code in D
just fine). dplug is written in D. What else couldn't?

Also maybe the GC and other complaints (genuine or not), which
I'm also a culprit, might actually be a contributing to people's
first impression of D when they visit the forums. I have a
strongly suspicious of this.