Why many programmers don't like GC?

ddcovery antoniocabreraperez at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 13:41:33 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 19 January 2021 at 11:25:13 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 January 2021 at 10:43:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 19 January 2021 at 10:36:13 UTC, ddcovery wrote:
>>> GC if D is not enough for you), but think about the thousands
>>> of experienced developers that where looking for something
>>> mature to work with and found that D was not an option.
>>
>> And that's the point. The vast majority of _experienced_
>> developers recognize the current GC for what it is: a very
>> basic primitive Boehm-style GC. Which basically is a trip back
>> to the 1990s (or 1970s, whenever they started programming).
>
> And if it isn't clear: stuff like that (and bugs in the type
> system) is what makes _experienced_ developers do exactly what
> you said. They do go to Rust, Go and C++ (or Nim or Zig).

> users that did exactly that.
>
> Lost opportunities.
>
> And that is why you don't get the eco system you think is
> needed.
>
> Truly _experienced_ programmers do test a new language before
> they commit to it. They will recognize the flaws based on prior
> experience. They do know what typical flaws in language design
> look like. They have experience with maybe 5-15 languages, so
> you cannot just throw stupid slogans in their face, they are
> used to that too.

First of all, nice to read you

That you want GC to work efficiently seems great to me... but at
least we agree that D memory management is (and must be) GC based
(so I really don't understand your somewhat over-acted answer...
maybe I need to read all the threads to understand your
discomfort. In any case, accept my forgiveness if I have been
able to bother you).

Regarding the experience, do we really have to go into that? In
this forum there are more or less many people with university
level and between 10 and 30 years of experience ... many (except
the youngest) have worked professionally with dozens of
programming languages and this is, in my opinion, the reason D
attracts us (people with really different profiles and needs but
with a lot of experience).

In my case, for example, I have not worked manually with memory
for decades (the 90s are a long way off, and my years with C/ASM,
Pascal and C++ are long forgotten): VB, C#, Java, Ruby, Groovy,
Scala, ObjectiveC, Js/Ts, Kotlin, Dart, ... D seems like a great
alternative to me (mainly because the "way" of computational
inefficiency that a lot of them and their most used frameworks
are taking).

In any case, your point about to be professional when comparing
alternatives should always be kept in mind, nothing to add.

Thanks for your tips.