Why many programmers don't like GC?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:15:40 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 19 January 2021 at 13:41:33 UTC, ddcovery wrote:
> (so I really don't understand your somewhat over-acted
> answer... maybe I need to read all the threads to understand
> your discomfort. In any case, accept my forgiveness if I have
> been able to bother you).

Forgot to answer, maybe I misinterpreted your statement, if so I
apologise.  I felt you were putting too much emphasis on tooling
as the dominant issue. If that becomes an excuse to not make som
hard choices then we cannot move. Because everybody has to be on
board for D to take a decisive direction. So, yes, I am not happy
if we establish excuses as valid arguments against change!

I also don't think tooling or libraries are the core issues.  I
think a solid language and a solid runtime is sufficient to get
the ball rolling, because then you can retain those highly
skilled people that will build the tools (over time). If people
do not stay for a long time then you will have 50% of a tool
built, then it goes into the graveyard. Then another builds
another 50% solution, then it goes into the graveyard... D has a
very large graveyard at this point of very interesting projects
that only got to the 50-80% mark... then the authors left.

Anyway, commercial quality tooling is expensive. Even Google gave
up on building their own IDE for Dart and left it to JetBrains.