Why filling AA in shared library freezes execution?

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:39:32 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 at 17:39:50 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 02:12:17PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> On Monday, 25 January 2021 at 21:48:10 UTC, Vitalii wrote:
>> > Q: Why filling assoc.array in shared library freeze
>> > execution?
>>
>> D exes loading D dlls are very broken on Windows. You can
>> kinda make it work but there's a lot of bad design and
>> showstopper bugs.
> [...]
>
> Just out of curiosity, what are some of the showstoppers?  I'd
> have expected D exe's loading D dll's should be the first
> priority in making Windows dll's work in D.  I'm surprised
> there are still obvious problems.

The biggest one for me, is that RTTI isn't "shared" across
boundaries.

So typeid(int) in your .exe isn't compatible with typeid(int)
from a .dll

I found out the hard way, since sdlang-d was giving me a very
strange type mismatch error which was caused due to this issue in
typeid.

Am I wrong in saying that it was fixed at some point though, or
at least, someone was attempting a fix?

It's kind of discouraging to hear from Adam that there's actually
even *more* issues regarding DLLs.

I've crossed them out of my mind entirely at this point though,
since Windows in general doesn't seem to get much love in certain
parts of D (e.g. the makefile for Phobos didn't support things
that the posix makefile did).