D meets GPU: recommendations?

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:01:17 UTC 2021

On Friday, 29 January 2021 at 17:46:05 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Friday, 29 January 2021 at 16:34:25 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
>> The project I've been working on for the last few months has a
>> compute backend that is currently written MT+SIMD.  I would
>> like to bring up a GPU variant.
>
> What you could do is ressurect DerelictCL, port it to BindBC,
> and write vanilla OpenCL 1.2 + OpenCL C.
> Not up to date on both, but CUDA is messier than OpenCL.
>
> I don't really know about the other possibilities, like OpenGL
> + compute shaders or Vulkan + compute shaders.

Thanks for the pointer to Mike's bindings.  If I run in to
trouble plugging in with both dcompute and C++/SycL I'll take a
look before falling back to CUDA.

I've not looked in to OpenGL compute shaders seriously either but
I did look at Vulkan compute shaders.  They looked very strong
with respect to future deployability but were weak in other ways
so I kept them off the list.  I don't think I can warp my code to
fit in to glsl or similar, at least not easily. Custom
neighborhood indexing, group/sub-group scheduling control and
ability to manage group local memory efficiently were the main
concerns, IIRC.