Please help me understand this function signature: std.stdio.File.byLine

Scotpip geoff at variosoft.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 20:24:57 UTC 2021

Outstanding answers, folks. This is a great community!

If I ever manage to get on top of this cussed language, I hope to
reciprocate by posting some material aimed at newbies coming from
areas like line-of-business with scripting languages, which is
where I've done most of my coding. This is a different world.

Even though this is a learner's forum, it's clear that most of
the people taking up D have a strong background in gnarly systems
languages like C++. The on-ramp for people like me is pretty
steep.

I'm not whinging - given the lack of corporate backing it's
pretty amazing how mature this language has become - and I'm very
aware of the huge and selfless investment the developers have
made. But it's definitely more intimidating to tackle D than one
of the more trendy languages like Go or Julia where there are
plentiful learning resources.

For starters, it's now clear to me that a strong understanding of
Templates is essential to make much headway - that's why I got
stuck here. They are dealt with towards the back of the books,
but you really can't understand much of the library code without
them. That's the first gap I'm going to fill.

So thanks again - without this kind of support it would be pretty
much impossible for newbies like me to get up to speed.