wanting to try a GUI toolkit: needing some advice on which one to choose

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 10:23:30 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 2 June 2021 at 10:17:52 UTC, drug wrote:
> Usually 1 million of items aren't visible at once. Also there
> is opinion that total redrawing can be more efficient than
> caching because of making a decision what to cache and what not
> can be very complex.

Depends on the application.

My view on the GPU has changed a bit as some applications may use
the GPU for computing application data, also pushing the GPU too
hard will make it hot and fans  start running (making users
wonder what the app is doing).

Say, if I used an accounting program and it caused the fan to
spin, then I would be annoyed. :-D

> To estimate the height you need to have height of every
> elements, you can't dynamically create elements in that case. I
> create some wrapper over data set that stores height of
> elements. It's much cheaper and faster than creating a widget
> per item - that is a real advantage over retained gui. And user
> has access to that info - that is advantage over immediate gui.
> But yes, there are tasks that can/should be performed by
> dynamically created elements.

Varying heights can be tricky, so just computing the heights in a
wrapper seems reasonable.

Another approach is to use an estimate that is updated as you
bring in more items, but that is real work (for the programmer).