Why can't we transpile C++ to D?

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:06:42 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 10 June 2021 at 16:50:41 UTC, evilrat wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 June 2021 at 15:09:02 UTC, Tejas wrote:
>> Sorry, I'm rather ignorant when it comes to this, but why
>> can't we use
>> [pegged](https://github.com/PhilippeSigaud/Pegged) to
>> transpile C++ code to D? Then we won't need a nogc compatible
>> std library and so many other things could get easier, like
>> getting legacy code to use Dlang. It might not be worth it for
>> C+17 and beyond, but older codebases could benefit
>> significantly, right?
>
> I leave this here, it does converts C++ to D to some extent
>
> https://github.com/Superbelko/ohmygento
Yes I saw the announcement earlier.

I was hoping for something native, rather than bindings.

As you said youself, it's not exactly stable.

Plus I don't want a hamster's death on my conscience. :(

Please don't take this as me belittling your work, it is better
than having nothing.

But how scalable will this be? We have to get real D code to
enrich our ambiguously-defined-small ecosystem.