In general, who should do more work: popFront or front?

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 14:20:11 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 15 June 2021 at 04:24:09 UTC, surlymoor wrote:
> All my custom range types perform all their meaningful work in
> their respective popFront methods, in addition to its expected
> source data iteration duties. The reason I do this is because I
> swear I read in a github discussion that front is expected to
> be O(1), and the only way I can think to achieve this is to
> stash the front element of a range in a private field; popFront
> would thus also set this field to a new value upon every call,
> and front would forward to it. (Or front would be the cache
> itself.)
> At the moment, I feel that as long as the stashed front element
> isn't too "big" (For some definition of big, I guess.), that
> built-in caching should be fine. But is this acceptable? What's
> the best practice for determining which range member should
> perform what work? (Other than iterating, of course.)

It's a time-space tradeoff. As you say, caching requires
additional space to store the cached element. On the other hand,
*not* caching means that you spend unnecessary time computing the
next element in cases where the range is only partially consumed.
For example:

```d
import std.range: generate, take;
import std.algorithm: each;
import std.stdio: writeln;

generate!someExpensiveFunction.take(3).each!writeln;
```

Naively, you'd expect that `someExpensiveFunction` would be
called 3 times--but it is actually called 4 times, because
`generate` does its work in its constructor and `popFront`
instead of in `front`.