Are D classes proper reference types?

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 07:44:25 UTC 2021

On Monday, 28 June 2021 at 06:13:06 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 June 2021 at 23:20:38 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
>> - It locks us in a position where we depend on an external
>> committee / implementation to define our ABI.
>
> Well, that could be an issue, but it is not likely to change
> fast or frequently so I don't think it is a high risk approach.

The issue is twofold: it requires us to follow upstream changes
(the case you are thinking of), but also provides us from making
non backward-compatible downstream changes (meaning we can't
change it as we see fit if we realize there is potential for
optimization).

>> In any case, if you feel like it's worth it @Ola, you could
>> start to look into what it takes (druntime/dmd wise) and start
>> to submit PR.
>
> There is no point unless there is consensus. You first need to
> get consensus otherwise it is means throwing time into the
> garbage bin.

Waiting on "consensus" is an easy way to avoid doing any kind of
work :)
I'm fairly sure most large achievements that have been undertaken
by people in this community (that were not W&A) have been done
without their (W&A's) blessing. People just went ahead and did
it. But obviously those people cared more about getting things
done than spending time discussing it on the forums.