How to delete dynamic array ?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 16:20:06 UTC 2021

On 3/17/21 12:06 PM, jmh530 wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 March 2021 at 14:30:26 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 17 March 2021 at 10:54:10 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>>>
>>> This is one of those things that is not explained well enough.
>>
>> Yes.
>> I made this article to clear up that point:
>> https://p0nce.github.io/d-idioms/#Slices-.capacity,-the-mysterious-property
>>

>> "That a slice own or not its memory is purely derived from the pointed
>> area."
>>
>> could perhaps better be said
>>
>> "A slice is managed by the GC when the memory it points to is in GC
>> memory"?
>
> I probably skimmed over the link when I originally read it without
> really understanding it. I'm able to understand it now.
>
> I think the underlying issue that needs to get explained better is that
> when you do
> int[] x = [1, 2, 3];
> the result is always a GC-allocated dynamic array. However, z below
> int[3] y = [1, 2, 3];
> int[] z = y[];
> does not touch the GC at all. For a long time, I operated under the
> assumption that dynamic arrays and slices are the same thing and that
> dynamic arrays are always GC-allocated. z is obviously a slice of y, but
> it is also a dynamic array in the sense that you can append to it and
> get an array with one more member than y (except in @nogc code).
> However, when appending to z, it seems that what's really happening is
> that the GC is allocating a new part of memory, copying over the
> original value of y and then copying in the new value. So it really
> becomes a new kind of thing (even if the type is unchanged).
>
> One takeaway is there is no issue with a function like below
> @nogc void foo(T)(T[] x) {}
> so long as you don't actually need the GC within the function. A static
> array can be passed in just using a slice.

This is why I view slices as not dynamic arrays.

I think of a slice as pointing at memory. When you append it effectively:

1. Checks to see if the underlying memory is GC allocated.
2. If not, it allocates new GC memory to hold the original memory + the
appended data
3. It appends the data to the GC block that it now must point at.

In this way, it presents a dynamic array *interface*, but it's not
necessarily pointing at a dynamic array type (at least in the way I
think of a dynamic array type).

I've had online battles about this terminology, and people asked me to
change my array article to disavow this distinction, but I'm not going
to change it. It's so much easier to understand.

-Steve