Why I need DUB? Will never DMD don't just use import for import packages?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Mar 30 04:16:42 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 07:28:23PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, 29 March 2021 at 19:06:33 UTC, Marcone wrote:
> > Why can't I just use: import vibe.vibe; for import packages like Nim
> > or Python? Why I still use DUB?
>
> I don't use dub. Just dmd -i after you set up the files in the right
> place.
>
> Not all libraries support that but I only use my own libraries so it
> is fine.

I highly recommend Adam's arsd library (or collection of libraries).
Mostly just single files, with a few that have one or two dependencies,
you just copy the file(s) into your workspace and import them. That's
all.  No need for external tools to manage dependencies, no dependency
hell, just drop the file into your project and go.

arsd does have a dub thingy for those who want it, but I mostly just git
submodule it in my own projects or plain ole copy a couple o' files into
my workspace. No fuss, no muss, no hairy NP-complete dependency graphs,
the way it should be.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool. -- Edward Burr