Is inc function part of the library ?

kdevel kdevel at vogtner.de
Thu May 13 17:48:34 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 13:45:50 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 13:30:29 UTC, Alain De Vos wrote:
>> Or have I a wrong understanding of pure or the compiler.
>
> pure means it doesn't depend on any mutable info outside its
> arguments.
>
> You are only working on the arguments there so it is ok.

Then D's pure does not match up with WP's definition [1] of pure,
at least not

     2. The function application has no side effects (no mutation
of local
     static variables, non-local variables, mutable reference
arguments
     or input/output streams).

WP quotes Bartosz Milewski:

    2. A function has no side effects. Calling a function once is
the same as
    calling it twice and discarding the result of the first call.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_function