ugly and/or useless features in the language.

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon May 17 15:21:44 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 16:16:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I cannot live without auto return types and Voldemort types.
> They are my bread and butter. Take them away, and I might as
> well go back to C/C++.

C++ has both?

> What I find ugly:
> - shared, and all of its quirks and incomplete implementation.

Shared semantics are wrong, as in not safe. Someone with a
theoretical background should have been consulted... I am not
really sure why it was given semantics with no complete solution,
you cannot evolve concurrency designs.

> - The fact that byte + byte cannot be assigned back to a byte
> without a
>   cast.

I dont think you should be able to do anything with bytes without
a cast...

> - Attribute proliferation.  We should have had type inference
> integrated
>   into the language from the beginning, but alas, that ship has
> already
>   long sailed and it's too late to change that now

Why is it too late? I dont think it is.