ugly and/or useless features in the language.

sighoya sighoya at gmail.com
Sat May 22 13:26:38 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 15 May 2021 at 14:31:08 UTC, Alain De Vos wrote:
> Which parts in dlang don't you use and why ?

Well, I don't like magic constructs in the language like the type
of AliasSeq you can't touch.

But the more general problem in D are not features per se, but
how they are composed of.
For instance: Why no AST macros instead of string mixins,
templates, mixin templates and alias?
All these forms could be special ast macros.

Structs are nice but at the same time awful to use because they
are incompatible with interfaces and classes, I hope this will
change to some extent, but I think it wouldn't be that smooth.

Being multi-paradigmatic seems nice at a first sight, but which
paradigm should your standard library and other frameworks
follow? Providing all paradigms at once make your frameworks
redundant and bloated, so you just follow one which is most of
the time not OOP.
This is the same problematic with custom memory containers.

I wish we would only use structs as ref/value types with the
ability to box them to interfaces automatically increasing
compatibility between libraries to a large extent.