wanting to try a GUI toolkit: needing some advice on which one to choose

someone someone at somewhere.com
Sat May 29 01:10:13 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 29 May 2021 at 00:57:51 UTC, Marcone wrote:

> Win32Api. You can use resEdit to create your resource GUI. Work
> only for Windows. Here is my program created with Dlang and
> Win32Api GUI:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/direct-http-tunnel/

Thanks a lot for your info :) !

I want you to know that I am replying to myself on the first post
summarizing what I already learned researching the subject
starting with the tips provided by you as well as anyone else
that replied to my post. Please, if you want and have the time,
check my last post and let me know anything I got wrong.

I do have a LOT of experience coding on the Windows platform, I
have no less than 20 years at least, since Windows NT 1.0
precisely, I do feel at ease with Win32 and COM. The problem
right now is that, for whatever reasons, I stopped being coding
Microsoft-centric solutions 5 or-so years ago. I am on archlinux
right now and have a few boxes running freeBSD and/or
DragonFlyBSD. I do not plan to go back to Microsoft. Obviously, I
miss a lot of things; but mainly, SQL-Server, everything
XML-related which is rock-solid on the Microsoft side, and last
but not least, PowerShell, which I love by design but regret the
way that was implemented, specially since the 2.0 release, it
ended really bloated, but the concept, rocks.

I started to left ship with MicroSoft in the Vista ~ Windows 8
time frame and left definitely on Windows 9/10. My last boxes
still run Windows Server 2008 R2 with the newer versions of
SQL-Server. Ballmer destroyed Microsoft as quality code. The
userspace since Vista was terrible -and don't get me started on
the Metro UI.