Completing C code with D style

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Nov 10 23:05:06 UTC 2021

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 10:17:48PM +0000, russhy via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 November 2021 at 06:47:32 UTC, forkit wrote:
> > btw. My pc has 24GB of main memory, and my CPU 8MB L3 cache. So I
> > really don't give a damn about allocations .. not one little bit ;-)
>
> It's not a good mindset to have
>
> Give room for the unexpected, don't burn all of your options right now
>
> Having good foundation helps one to grow and scale faster than others
[...]

+1.

Ironically, dmd itself is pretty care-free about allocating memory (in
the name of compile speed -- after all, everybody has GBs of RAM to
spare, but nobody wants to wait, right?). As a result, I cannot compile
even simple programs on a low-memory system because the compiler runs
out of memory and crashes before it can finish compiling.  What good is
a super-fast compiler that cannot finish compiling before it uses too
much memory?  Because of this, I have not dared to introduce D to my
colleagues -- if they see what dmd does on the kind of low-memory
embedded systems that we work on, they'd get such a bad impression of D
they'll never ever want to hear about it again. :-/

Verbing weirds language. -- Calvin (& Hobbes)