Completing C code with D style

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Nov 10 23:46:17 UTC 2021

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 03:13:08PM -0800, Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On 11/10/21 3:05 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> > I cannot compile even simple programs on a low-memory system because
> > the compiler runs out of memory
>
> Did the -lowmem switch help in some cases?

On my (high-mem) home PC, it does help to reduce the memory footprint
somewhat.  But unfortunately, not enough to make compilation work on the
low-mem systems on all except the most trivial of programs.  So still
no-go.

> Is -betterC any better? ;)
[...]

Have not tried. Maybe I'll give it a shot when I have some time. I'm not
a fan, though. Using -betterC loses some of the key advantages D offers
over C, and would probably not be incentive enough for my colleagues to
consider adopting D. (We had tried C++ before and given up on it, so
whatever is going to displace C in this space better offer a LOT more
than C++ ever did. Simply being yet another variant of C isn't going to
cut it.)

It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters. -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca