what i don't like about dub

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Tue Nov 23 07:06:17 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 at 01:19:44 UTC, Alain De Vos wrote:
> What i don't like about dub is that is does not check which
> software is installed on the host.
> Currentlu tck86 is installed on the host including header files
> & shared libraries.
> But dub says let me just download my own personal version and i
> will compile it in your home directory
> /home/myuser/.dub
> There is something inherently wrong in doing so.
>
> Note other package managers of different languages do the same
> thing.
> dub should really check if something should really be
> downloaded.
> Otherwise you end up in a library hell, in Gates words known as
> dll hell.

Well, it's not always possible to check such things without heavy
performance cost. It can take a long time to verify whether
something is already installed, as it could be unzipped in some
obscure folder deep into many subfolders.

The solution here would probably be the ability to specify
certain installations and their paths etc. within your project.
It comes at almost no expense on running dub and the only real
expense is users having to specify such installations.