what i don't like about dub

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 14:06:07 UTC 2021

On 11/22/21 8:19 PM, Alain De Vos wrote:
> What i don't like about dub is that is does not check which software is
> installed on the host.
> Currentlu tck86 is installed on the host including header files & shared
> libraries.
> But dub says let me just download my own personal version and i will
> compile it in your home directory
> /home/myuser/.dub
> There is something inherently wrong in doing so.
>
> Note other package managers of different languages do the same thing.
> dub should really check if something should really be downloaded.
> Otherwise you end up in a library hell, in Gates words known as dll hell.

If I understand correctly, you have a library that is already installed
on your system (is it tcl86? I couldn't find a tck86), and you want to
use it's headers and library file? Yet, the dub package you are
depending on is downloading its own copy?

1. Are the installed headers D headers? D can't currently reasonably use
C headers. I don't know of D bindings that are installed by OS package
managers.
2. Is the package maybe downloading a binary library to avoid having to
ask users to install their own copy? This is something you need to bring
up to the package developer, it's not a dub feature. Also, if there are
differences between the C bindings of the version you have installed and
the version the package is expecting, you are in for some trouble, so
that may be a valid reason to include the binary.

Since this is a package issue, and not a dub issue, I'd recommend
posting the package you are using, and maybe contact its author.

-Steve