Obtain pointer from static array literal

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 06:59:32 UTC 2021

On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 05:31:21 UTC, codic wrote:
> On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 05:01:00 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
> wrote:
>> note that if the pointer is not escaped from the function
>> (i.e. thing is void thing(scope int* abc)note the addition of
>> scope) LDC will perform promotion of GC allocation to stack of
>> the array literal even if you don't use .staticArray.

> Interesting, I think you meant "even if you do use
> .staticArray";

No, I meant what I said. The array literal will cause a GC
allocation, unless it is assigned to a static array of the same
length or is inferred to be a static array. The latter happens
when you pass it to `staticArray` because staticArray takes a
static array as a parameter and the literal is inferred to be
static array instead of a dynamic array, which is the default.

> not sure why it would do that,

When you _don't_ use staticArray, what happens is LDC looks at
the allocation and the fact that the allocated memory does not
escape the passed to function (because the argument is annotated
with `scope`) and turns the GC allocated dynamic array literal
into a stack allocation (assuming that the array is of
sufficiently small size as to not blow the stack).

> but it doesn't  matter because my code is betterC

I guess the point is moot

> and therefore nogc so it  *should* allocate it on the stack, I
> think

No, you can still try to use the GC in betterC but you will get a
compile time error if you do so. Passing `-betterC` does not
cause GC to stack promotion, it issues errors if you try to use
GC (or any other feature that requires druntime like associative
arrays or typeinfo).