Dustmite and linking error

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 11:20:18 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 2 September 2021 at 11:04:12 UTC, JG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We hit a linking error (after upgrading to dub 1.26.0). I
> thought I would try to use dustmite to create a reduced error
> test case. One week later it is still running (depth 22). I
> don't suppose there is anyway of determining when it will
> finish?

One way to get a very rough estimate is to take the square of the
current reduction (.reduced directory), and divide it by the
square of the original source.

For best performance, make sure that:

1) You are using the latest version from
https://github.com/CyberShadow/DustMite
2) DustMite itself is built in release mode
3) You are using the -j switch to enable parallelism
4) You are running the reduction on a RAM disk or equivalent

If you don't want to risk losing progress by putting everything
(including the result directory) on a RAM disk, the latest
bleeding-edge version on the "next" branch introduces a
--temp-dir option.

DustMite reductions can be stopped and resumed by pointing
DustMite at the latest .reduced directory from a previous run.