Can we rely on LDC respecting "align" (for avx) ??

james.p.leblanc james.p.leblanc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 04:32:50 UTC 2021

Dear All,

In searching through the forum archives (going back to 2013, 2016
etc), and experiments, it **appears to me** that LDC does indeed
respect the standard "align" properties.  (Meaning: proper
alignment
for using AVX with static arrays can be guaranteed).

Experiments (and forum discussions) also lead me to believe that
DMD does NOT respect this alignment.

So, what is the "official status" of AVX alignment possibilities?

Succinctly:

1) Can we truly rely on LDC's alignment for AVX ?

2) Is DMD presently **not** respecting alignment? (Or have I
    misunderstood?)

This has important impact on performance of numerical
computations.

Thanks for all illumination!

James