Development of the foundation of a programming language

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 05:55:52 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 05:06:01 UTC, Elronnd wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 03:24:45 UTC, max haughton
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 03:19:46 UTC, Elronnd wrote:
>>>
>>> In fairness, dmd doesn't use SSA either
>>
>> That's not a good thing.
>
> No, but if the OP's goal is to contribute to dmd, learning SSA
> wouldn't be very helpful beyond a general acclimation to
> compiler arcana.
>
> (Unless they wish to add SSA to dmd--a worthy goal, but perhaps
> not the best thing to start out with.)

The backend is not where our efforts should be going. There is
way too much work that needs doing above it to motivate working
on the backend. The backend's design for the most part is
extremely simple just buried under 40 years of code.

Besides, there's more to life than dmd, everything else is SSA at
least some point in compilation (i.e. GCC isn't SSA all the way
down but GIMPLE is).