How to use an existing D package in Visual D?

realhet real_het at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:07:37 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 at 09:57:29 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 at 09:26:54 UTC, realhet wrote:
> You should compile the existing package as a library, then add
> the library file to the linker settings in VisualD.

Thank You for the fast help!

Currently I have my own build system which works similar to
Delphi(native target):

You specify the main module and the package paths. Press F9. And
the it AUTOMATICALLY discovers all the referenced module
hierarchy and compiles it then finally producing an .exe.
It also does compiled .obj file caching, so only the modules I
changed and the modules that using the changed modules will be
recompiled.
I can do this module caching for myself, since the LDC compiler
has the -allinstances flag.
I switched from LDC 1.20 to 1.28 and I love the new internal
linker. It will eliminate a lot of MS linker specific hacking
from my build tool. I can just give LDC a bunch of sources,
objects, and libs. And it does all the job intelligently.

I'm talking about this if you want to peek:
https://github.com/realhet/hetlib/blob/master/het/HLDC/BuildSys.d
It basically launches an LDC2 instance for each of the changed
modules and calls the linker when all finished. A debug compile
takes 15 sec for a 40KLOC project(hierarchically including a few
packages too) if I only change the main D file.

Is this fast and light weight approach exists at all in
VisualStudio?
I heard something about "incremental build" in VisualStudio, but
I think even if it is working with D, it can't step over the
static library boundaries that you mentioned I have top use for
the packages.