Verbosity in D

bauss jacobbauss at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 07:05:01 UTC 2022

On Monday, 8 August 2022 at 00:11:33 UTC, pascal111 wrote:

> I don't have specific code but it was a general notice. Take
> Python as in example, the same program in Python doesn't cost
> much code as D code, and of course by putting in accounts that
> that I assume that there are some special tasks D can do, while
> Python can't do.

Yeah I don't think this is true. The only clear difference
between D and Python is the vast amount of libraries that Python
has and that D is a static-typed language, Python is not (by
default)

You generally don't write much more code.

Loops, ranges etc. are all just as pleasant to work with in D as
they are in Python.

I'd argue it's even easier to work with classes in D than in
Python, and even easier to work with metadata in D than any other
language.

Python has an unnecessary amount of verbosity when it comes to
OOP (because it really isn't an OOP language.)

I think D only looks verbose to people who don't really
understand its metaprogramming capabilities, templates and/or are
new to the language and perhaps come from dynamic typed languages.

But I don't think D is in particular more verbose than Python,
you can write very similar expressions and some code are almost
1:1 in Python and D when you only consider syntax.