"min" and "max"

jfondren julian.fondren at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 00:10:08 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 10 August 2022 at 00:03:37 UTC, pascal111 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 August 2022 at 23:56:53 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 9 August 2022 at 23:35:23 UTC, pascal111 wrote:
>>> "min" and "max" in "std.algorithm" can be used with single
>>> values to pick up the min and max values, but it didn't
>>> mention how they can be used with ranges in the documentation:
>>>
>>> https://dlang.org/phobos/std_algorithm_comparison.html#.min
>>
>> The docs do mention `minElement` and `maxElement` (the range
>> versions) under the "See Also" heading, but you're right that
>> it's not super clear *why* they're mentioned.
>
> They said " If at least one of the arguments is NaN, the result
> is an unspecified value. See std.algorithm.searching.minElement
> for examples on how to cope with NaNs.", as a beginner how can
> I guess what "NaNs" means or if it refers to ranges?!

When something unexplained, it might be because it's assumed to
be general knowledge. So you can search for that term on a web
search engine. The good ones immediately come up with the
wikipedia entry for the computing term. Google has a definition
and a bunch of ads but, below these, the same wikipedia entry.