Exercise at end of Ch. 56 of "Programming in D"

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 19:05:46 UTC 2022

On Monday, 15 August 2022 at 03:19:43 UTC, johntp wrote:
> Your solution worked. I guess it is a little unnatural to
> ignore the color.  I tried overriding the toHash() of Point,
> but I don't know enough D to get it to work.  I wonder if that
> could be a solution.

  Depends on what you're trying to do. Metadata unrelated to the
value of the object i would ignore and not be part of hashing or
comparisons. I've also done things for strings that held
information like what original position in the array the data was
(*for visually sorting testing*) and could yield me information
while not interfering with the object/data in question.

  Though x+y as a hash seems terrible. I'd probably do
((x+1000)**2)+y (assuming x and y are both going to be generally
small ensuring the hash for location is unique. Then point(2,1)
and point(1,2) have different hashes. But I'm not familiar with
the exercise in question.