How to build DMD/Phobos on Windows

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:06:29 UTC 2022

It's been a long time but I've found some spare hours I want to
devote to finally updating our std.uni to Unicode 14 (soon to
migrate to 15 I guess).

I downloaded source code of DMD/Phobos as usual and dropped them
in the src folder of unpacked 7z distribution archive. Now time
to build. Since DMD doesn't ship make anymore I guessed I needed
a GNU make so I got that.

Doing make -f win32.mak shows an endless stream of make entering
the folder and then leaving it.

make[45]: Entering directory 'C:/exp/dmd2/src/dmd'
cd compiler\src
make -f win32.mak
make[46]: Entering directory 'C:/exp/dmd2/src/dmd'
cd compiler\src
make -f win32.mak
make[47]: Entering directory 'C:/exp/dmd2/src/dmd'
cd compiler\src
make -f win32.mak
make[48]: Entering directory 'C:/exp/dmd2/src/dmd'
cd compiler\src
make -f win32.mak
make[49]: Entering directory 'C:/exp/dmd2/src/dmd'
cd compiler\src
make -f win32.mak
make[50]: Entering directory 'C:/exp/dmd2/src/dmd'
cd compiler\src
make -f win32.mak
make[51]: Entering directory 'C:/exp/dmd2/src/dmd'
cd compiler\src
make -f win32.mak

Trying to run any makefiles in compiler/druntime folders do not
produce anything useful either.

So what is the canonical way to build D on Windows? Any pointers
would be greately appreciated.