Why can't D store all UTF-8 code units in char type? (not really understanding explanation)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Sat Dec 3 00:14:00 UTC 2022

On Fri, Dec 02, 2022 at 11:47:30PM +0000, thebluepandabear via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Friday, 2 December 2022 at 23:44:28 UTC, thebluepandabear wrote:
> > > :-D
> > >
> > > (Exercise for the reader: what's the Hausdorff dimension of the
> > > set of strings over Unicode space? :-P)

> > Your explanation was great and cleared things up... not sure about
> > the linear algebra one though ;)
>
> Actually now when I think about it, it is quite a creative way of
> explaining things. I take back what I said.

It was a math joke. :-P  It was half-serious, though, and I think the
analogy surprisingly holds up well enough in many cases.  In any case,
silly analogies are often a good mnemonic for remembering things like
Unicode terminology. :-D

Freedom: (n.) Man's self-given right to be enslaved by his own depravity.