Idiomatic D using GC as a library writer

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 17:47:38 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 4 December 2022 at 09:53:41 UTC, vushu wrote:
> Dear dlang community.
>

> I am unsure about what idiomatic D is.
>
> Some of the Dconf talks tells people just to use the GC, until
> you can't afford
> it.
>
> If there are documents that describes what idiomatic D is then
> I would appreciate it.
>

> So my questions are:
>

> What are your thoughts about using GC as a library writer?
>

> If you wan't to include a library into your project aren't you
> more inclined to use a
>
> library which is gc free?
>

> If that is true, then idiomatic D doesn't apply for library
> writers.
>
> Since to get most exposure as a D library writer you kinda need
> to make it gc free right?
>

> Cheers.

D gives you the choice

But the most important thing is your usecase, what kind of
library are you making?

Once you answer this question, you can then ask what your memory
strategy should be, and then it is based on performance concerns

D scale from microcontrollers to servers, drivers, games, desktop
apps

Your audience will determine what you should provide

For a desktop app, a GC is an advantage

For a driver or a game, it's not