How to use version in dub?

Leonardo leotada523 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:43:19 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 13 December 2022 at 20:35:28 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 December 2022 at 20:01:40 UTC, torhu wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 December 2022 at 19:50:15 UTC, torhu wrote:

>>> In SDL syntax, either at the top level, in a configuration,
>>> or build type:
>>>
>>> ```
>>> versions "something" "other"
>>> ```
>>
>> To be more clear: When using dub you need to put this in the
>> dub file, dub.sdl or dub.json. If you want to be able to
>> choose from the command line, use a configuration:
>>
>> ```
>> configuration "something" {
>>     versions "something"
>> }
>> ```
>>
>> Then you can do:
>> ```
>> dub build -c=something
>> ```
>
> How can this be the official solution?
>
> It should be as easy as dub build -v "something"

Thanks for the replies. I think definitely we need a better
documentation of this at least. It seems to have more than one
way to do.

I tried this at first:
```
dub build -version=USE_SDL

     Error Error processing arguments: Can't parse string: bool
should be case->> insensitive 'true' or 'false'
       Run 'dub help' for usage information.
```

Dub seems to understand my 'version' argument, but this has not
in the help section.

And in this documentation we have more than one way to declare
versions:
https://dub.pm/package-format-json.html#configurations

1. { "versions": ["PrintfDebugging"] }

2. like out friend said in configuration
     {
     	"name": "somepackage",
     	"configurations": [
     		{
     			"name": "glut-app",
     			"targetType": "executable",
     			"versions": ["GlutApp"]
     		}
     	]
     }

The -c argument refers to config build.
Maybe I'm confusing with package version.
But my thoughts about dub is that we need to have the best
documentation as we can to provide a good understanding for
newcomers in D language.