Will it be possible to write a GCC frontend in D?

rempas rempas at tutanota.com
Thu Feb 24 07:05:28 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 23 February 2022 at 21:33:00 UTC, Adam D Ruppe
wrote:

> There is no branch, it is just part of the upstream mainline.
> see:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=tree;f=gcc/d/dmd;h=454baa71a0d270fb891acdda6fd0215a3d6cb588;hb=HEAD

Oh, this is what I mean by saying "branch" so my mistake. Thanks
for the info!

> and yeah it is extern(C++). importC isn't going to be helpful,
> but still, gdc proves you can make a gcc frontend in d.

Yeah, If you put it that way. Tbh, I already knew it was possible
to do is this way because I know GDC's frontend was written in D.
However, I was wondering if we can have C bindings but it seems
that's not the case.