compiler fails with fatal error LNK1318: Unexpected PDB-error: OK (0) ""

Simon simon.vanbernem at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 3 09:15:12 UTC 2022

When compiling my project using v2.098.0 or v2.098.1 on Windows
10, this error just appeared:

  : fatal error LNK1318: Unerwarteter PDB-Fehler: OK (0) "".
Error: linker exited with status 1318

"Unerwarteter PDB-Fehler" means "Unexpected PDB-error". The next
3 attempts to compile yielded the following errors:

libucrtd.lib(lseek.obj) : fatal error LNK1318: Unerwarteter
PDB-Fehler: OK (0) "".
Error: linker exited with status 1318

libucrtd.lib(initcon.obj) : fatal error LNK1318: Unerwarteter
PDB-Fehler: OK (0) "".
Error: linker exited with status 1318

libucrtd.lib(round.obj) : fatal error LNK1318: Unerwarteter
PDB-Fehler: OK (0) "".
Error: linker exited with status 1318

The obj file reported seems to pretty much be picked at random.
In the first error message there simply was no lib/obj mentioned.
This issue started appearing today, without installing any
updates (to any program at all). The PC wasn't even shut down
since yesterday, when everything worked fine. Restarting doesn't
help, removing all obj files and doing a full rebuild also
doesn't help (I have obj files built by MSVC that also get
linked). I was on v2.098.0 before, then upgraded in hopes of
fixing the issue. The very first compile after upgrading to
v2.098.1 worked, every consecutive compile after that is broken
again.