what is going on here?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jan 4 23:37:57 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 03:34:41PM -0800, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> Of course, afterwards the optimizer would merge them into something
> saner, but while the compiler is unfolding all those assignments, its
> memory usage would obviously skyrocket.

Or the compiler would run out of memory before it gets to optimizing
away those assignments, so it would just outright crash. I ran your code
on my computer and got this:

	uncaught exception
	core.exception.AssertError at src/dmd/common/outbuffer.d(204): OutBuffer: out of memory.
	??:? _d_assert_msg [0x5616e935648e]
	??:? _ZN9OutBuffer7reserveEm [0x5616e9350bda]
	??:? nothrow @trusted void dmd.common.outbuffer.OutBuffer.position(ulong, ulong) [0x5616e935129c]
	??:? _Z11ElfObj_termPKc [0x5616e933bcd6]
	Aborted

Which seems to confirm my suspicions.

They say that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Well I think
the gun helps. If you just stood there and yelled BANG, I don't think
you'd kill too many people. -- Eddie Izzard, Dressed to Kill