shared defaultlib with dmd

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jan 18 22:35:08 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:04:15PM +0000, forkit via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> so I use this compile command (on Windows, using ldc)
>
> -link-defaultlib-shared=true
>
> Then (in simple example) the size of my compiled .exe:
>
> From 806KB down to 18KB
>
> Oh. That's so much nicer on my SSD ;-)
>
> (yes, I understand the implictions here of dynamic sharing, but I
> test/compile/debug so much, that I'd like to limit the impact on my
> SSD drive.
[...]

Uhm... are you SURE this is actually nicer on your SSD?  For all you
know, it could be writing the 806KB first and then optimizing that
in-place to reduce it to 18KB...  Just because the final file size is
small doesn't mean there aren't any large intermediate files.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. -- Napoleon Bonaparte