number ranges

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 02:45:13 UTC 2022

On Monday, 17 January 2022 at 22:28:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> This will immediately make whoever reads the code (i.e., myself
> after 2 months :D) wonder, "why +1?" And the answer will become
> clear and enlightenment ensues. ;-)

  In those cases i find myself rewriting said code. Generally to
say **for(int i=1; i<=5; i++)** or something, where it includes
the last one but doesn't add oddities that doesn't explain the
magic numbers or odd +1.

  Then again the big issue *probably* comes from people coming
from BASIC of some description where the **FOR A=1 TO 5**, where
index starts at 1 and includes the number listed; And you aren't
given other conditions to test against. It really does take a
little getting used to.

  Maybe we don't use Qbasic or 8bit MSBASIC much anymore, but
Visual Basic and legacy code grandfathers those in, and maybe a
few other interpreted languages too.