vectorization of a simple loop -- not in DMD?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Jul 11 21:46:10 UTC 2022

On Monday, 11 July 2022 at 18:19:41 UTC, max haughton wrote:

> The dmd backend is ancient, it isn't really capable of these
> kinds of loop optimizations.

I've said it several times before. Just depreciate the the DMD
backend, it's just not up to the task anymore. This is not
criticism against the original purpose of it as back in the 90s
and early 2000s it made sense to create your own backend. Time
has moved on and we have LLVM and GCC backends with a lot of CPU
support that the D project could never achieve themselves. The D
project should just can the DMD backend in order to free up
resources for more important tasks.

Some people say they like it because it is fast, yes it is fast
because it doesn't do much.