vectorization of a simple loop -- not in DMD?

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 13:00:24 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 14 July 2022 at 05:30:58 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 July 2022 at 13:23:36 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>> I wonder if DMD/LDC/GDC have built in tools to profile and
>> track performance
>
> Linux has a decent system wide profiler:
> https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
> And there are other useful tools, such as callgrind. To take
> advantage of all these tools, DMD/LDC/GDC only need to provide
> debugging symbols in the generated binaries, which they already
> do. Profiling applications to identify performance bottlenecks
> is very easy nowadays.

I am not talking about linux, and i am not talking about 3rd
party tools

I am talking about the developers of DMD/LDC/GDC, do they profile
the compilers, do they provide ways to monitor/track performance?
do they benchmark specific parts of the compilers?

I am not talking about the output of valgrind

Zig also has: https://ziglang.org/perf/ (very slow to load)

Having such thing is more useful than being able to plug valgrind
god knows how into the compiler and try to decipher what does
what and what results correspond to what internally, and what
about a graph over time to catch regressions?

DMD is very fast at compiling code, so i guess Walter doing
enough work to monitor all of that

LDC on the other hand.. they'd benefit a lot by having such thing
in place