D for data science and statistics

Sergey kornburn at yandex.ru
Sat Jun 4 22:31:04 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 4 June 2022 at 20:26:54 UTC, Nicolas wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Pleased to meet you. I am currently deep-diving into data
> analysis and statistics with R and SQL. I got mid-level
> programming experience, focusing on algorithms and innovation
> instead of sticking to one programming language.
>
> I only got three questions:
>
> 1. Is there any extensive, up-to-date documentation on D? I
> really like its syntax and potential, so I am going to try and
> study anything regarding this programming language.
>
> 2. What about its integration with data analysis tools? Do you
> think it could be an alternative to, let's say, Python?
>
> 3. What IDE do you recommend when it comes to D?
>
> Thank you all. You're awesome ^-^

Hi there!

1) Phobos documentation is available online. Great book also
http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html

2) R integration:
https://dlang.org/blog/2020/01/27/d-for-data-science-calling-r-from-d/
Python integration: https://pyd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
D usage in Data Science example:
https://tech.nextroll.com/blog/data/2014/11/17/d-is-for-data-science.html
Stats package: https://github.com/DlangScience/dstats

3) one of the best is “Code-d” LSP server, which could be used
from VS Code or Vim/NeoVim

PS there are several Machine Learning libraries: vectorflow from
Netflix, grain and rnnlib
But all of them are far away from modern libs like TF or PyTorch
or OpenAI