Comparing Exceptions and Errors

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 07:36:38 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 5 June 2022 at 07:28:52 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
> Go has panic. Other languages have similar constructs.

And recover.

>> So D will never be able to provide actors and provide fault
>> tolerance.
>
> I guess it depends on the programmer.

But it isn’t if you cannot prevent Error from propagating.

>>> Is the service in a usable state?
>>
>> Yes, the actor code failed. The actor code change frequently,
>> not the runtime kernel.
>
> The actor code is free to call anything, including @system

@trusted code. How is this different from FFI in other languages?
As a programmer you make a judgment. The D argument is to prevent
the programmer from making a judgment?

> How would the actor framework know when an error is due to a
> silly bug in an isolated

How can I know that a failure in Python code isn’t caused by C

There is no difference in the situation. I make a judgment as a
programmer.