Comparing Exceptions and Errors

kdevel kdevel at vogtner.de
Sun Jun 5 22:28:23 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 5 June 2022 at 21:08:11 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
[...]
> Just FYI, this is a *different discussion* from whether Errors
> should be recoverable.

The wording of this "question" bothers me really. What does
"Errors" mean here? If you mean thrown object having a (sub)type
of `Error` the relevant question is:

    ARE `Error`s recoverable?

If they ARE recoverable then every program can written in a way
it handles even `Error`s gracefully.

> Whether specific conditions are considered an Error or an
> Exception is something on which I have differing opinions than
> the language.
>
> However, I do NOT have a problem with having an
> assert/invariant mechanism to help prove my program is correct.

I may be not a top-notch expert on this topic but IMO there is no
facility which can perform such a proof.