Comparing Exceptions and Errors

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 17:09:10 UTC 2022

On Monday, 6 June 2022 at 16:15:19 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2022 at 15:54:16 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
> wrote:
>> If it's an expected part of the sorting algorithm that it *may
>> fail to sort*, then that's not an Error, that's an Exception.
>
> No, it is not expected. Let me rewrite my answer to Sebastiaan
> to fit with the sort scenario:

Let me sketch up another scenario. Let's say I am making an
online game and I need early feedback from beta-testers. So I run
my beta-service with lots of asserts and logging, when actors
fail I discard them and relaunch them.

If the server went down on the first assert I wouldn't be able to
test my server at all, because there would be no users willing to
participate in a betatest where the server goes down every 20
seconds! That is a very bad high risk-factor, that totally
dominates this use scenario.

and make deliberate choices (cost-benefit-risk considerations).
That includes choosing an actor model, and each actor has to
prevent failure from affecting other actors. (by definition of
«actor»).