What happened to Circular Studio?

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 06:35:45 UTC 2022

On Monday, 6 June 2022 at 21:07:58 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 6/6/22 3:46 PM, Jack wrote:
>> I just found out a game using D to develop games but later I
>> see the last updates on the github, web site, twitter etc is
>> from 2015. Does anyone knows what happend to the company?
>
> It appears to be just a playground for a bunch of friends at
> RIT, I'm not sure how much of a "company" this was.
>
> But, there is activity in the github issues list, circa
> November 2020:
> https://github.com/Circular-Studios/Dash/issues/249
>
> But who knows, probably just fizzled out. I admit, I never
> heard of them.
>
> -Steve

Their engine was unfortunate enough to land before the great
language update in 2015-2016, basically updating it to work with
current D well be such a PITA that it is easier to rewrite from
scratch, I did tried to update it but eventually abandoned it
because there is tons of dependencies from that era that was
abandoned as well.

It has some nice ideas like Unity-like class registration and
metadata using CTFE but that's basically it...
They even have minor issues in shaders like right-handed math
mixed with left-handed math resulting in broken shadows and more
issues.